4 March 2013

On Hobson's Choice* Or Why Choices Are Hard to Make


Jean-Paul Satre famously once said: “We are our choices.” We all make them. Every day. Some are easy; some are hard. But without making choices we wouldn’t be able to live our lives. Should I wear the black dress or the blue one? The leopard print flats or red heels? Cereal or toast? Herbal or black tea? Wine or Cider? Chocolate or Crisps? All those are questions you can probably answer without giving them much thought. Sure, they may be answered differently depending on the day, the time, the mood you are in.

But what about those difficult decisions? Those that require thought and appear, not matter how we twist and turn things, to never quite lead to what we want? 



Something that you can’t seem to get yourself out of? Decisions that don’t come easy will be accompanied by critique and well-meant advice. Those you confide in, hoping to get another perspective, maybe even see another solution, or at least strengthen you in your believe that you are making the right decision, are the people you will try and fight for you, with you or you will end up fighting against. Justifying your decision when it is not to their satisfaction, when it goes against what they told you to do. 

I have always been a strong believer in going with my gut feeling. Following my heart, going with what feels right. Rationality was something that always played a role, but something that I was just as happy to abandon when it went against what I could feel was right. Or what seemed right at the time. The resulting conflict with myself was never much fun but it means that I challenge myself and I like to think that it makes me stronger.

Regret is not a word I like. It makes us bitter, live in the past, and stops us from moving forward, from growing. You cannot undo the past, you cannot change it, not matter how much you wish you could. There are so many things that I would do differently, situations I wish I handled differently, and decisions I wish I hadn’t made. But all those things have made me who I am today. They have made me grow, be independent and have led me to the people who are part of my life.

My life would be so different right now had I made different decisions. Had I not gone to Australia I wouldn’t have made some amazing friend, I wouldn’t have grown into the person I am today. Maybe I would still be in Germany, studying at a German university rather than being in London, the city I have dreamed of living in since I was 12. I wouldn’t know my wonderful, supportive army of friends I have here now and I treasure so much.

I have thought a lot about making choices lately because I may well be forced to make one soon. Not just about what I want for breakfast or what I want to wear to work but about something slightly more complicated than that. A choice where I am not sure I like either outcome. According to my close friends there is only one rational answer. That really, there is no choice to be made. Rather that is a question of saying yes or no to rationality. 

The more I think about it the more I am fighting with myself. My head against my heart. The battle will be long and hard. So far I am not sure who will win this one. It changes daily. Depending on the time of day, the mood I am in. All I know is that a decision will have to be made. No matter how much I don't want to have to make it. But I know that if I don't the universe will make it for me. And there is nothing worse than having to accept the choice the universe made for you. My life, my choices. 

*Hobson's Choice: the choice between taking what is offered and getting nothing at all.