27 February 2014

Casual sex in times of the internet round 2: Is the threesome the new twosome?



Casually catching up on all the weird and wonderful things the internet has to offer on one of my favourite topics, human relationships (of any kind), I stumbled upon a new app called 3nder – the tinder of threesomes.
I have never blogged about Tinder before really so it might seem strange to make the jump to 3nder but why wait? Having been the social media app craze of summer 2013 – and I am told it continues to be popular, even if this is just for its entertainment value – I of course dabbled with the app. It wasn’t on my phone for very long and I have to say that I do not miss it one bit; the boy will probably pleased about that!

However, I do continue to enjoy reading about it and follow a few tumblrs that are regularly make my week, such as Teach me how to Tinder, How to lose a guy in one Tinder, and Twats on Tinder. Buzzfeeder Myles Tanzer also published a lovely little collection of hilarious and cringeworthy Tinder stories entitled “10 True Tinder Stories That Will Make You Want To Fall In Love Or Hide Under The Covers” – in fact, it taught me that men with tigers on Tinder is a thing, something that I completely missed. Maybe I should have started reading Teach me how to Tinder before I used the app?!

Anyway, having previously blogged about “Bang with Friends” (now renamed DOWN), there was no way I wasn’t going to blog about 3ndr. 3ndr – tagline “Threesomes made easy” – aims to solve the problem of there being “too many services targeted at singles” while “services targeted at couples and swingers are expensive and suspicious.” That is where 3ndr comes into play! London-based entrepreneur Dimo Trifonov developed the app and says that he wants 3ndr to be a “simple and elegant app that will try to change the face of the swinging industry."

You can join the app as a couple seeking another couple, as a couple seeking a guest star or for 3 lonely single people looking to having some good old three-way fun. Easy. Or maybe not? 3ndr says that by “sharing your interests and desires” it will “connect you with likeminded people” and therefore it is NOT “just about random sex.” Well that’s good to know!

Threesomes were, at least according to Sex and the City, the “the blow job of the nineties.” So they kind of have been a thing in pop culture for a while, really. I particularly enjoyed when Carrie then goes on to muse about threesomes: 

“Was Samantha right? Were threesomes the new sexual frontier? No question. Guys were infatuated with threesomes. And when I started looking, they were everywhere. After all, our lives are built on threesomes. Fat, low-fat, non-fat. First, Business, Economy. Moe, Larry, Curly. Maybe we were never meant to do it with only one other person. Maybe threesomes were the relationship of the future.”


3nder is currently still in the development stage, and it will be interesting to see whether it has any success. They currently have 255 followers on their twitter, certainly something to keep an eye on and see where it goes. “Bang with Friends” (now renamed DOWN), maybe not to too much surprise, seems to be doing alright for itself with 4215 followers on Twitter and 21,534 like on Facebook. DOWN CEO Colin Hodge announced in June 2013 that his app had racked up 1.1 million users in just five months, before being kicked out of Apple’s iTunes stores in May 2013. You can watch his interview with Business Insider here

I am a big fan of social media and not opposed to internet/app dating in the slightest – I know way too many people who met online and are in happy, successful and loving relationships to say anything negative about online dating. In fact, Tinder’s co-founder Sean Read said in November 2013 that their app has "created over 150 marriages that we know about.” But 3ndr seems to be getting attention more because of its ‘controversial content’ rather than anything else. Whether that may be because threesomes and the swinging community are not something that is regularly discussed in public or whether it is just because we aren’t quite ready to talk about, what 3nder termed, “sexual revolution” openly remains to be seen. 

Personally, I think that the app could be great for people looking for that kind of thing; I can see how it is filling a “gap in the market” and how it could give a new digital aspect and outlet to the people already active in the swinging community or might even introduce someone to it who is just that little bit curious.