11 February 2013

Joining Bloglovin' Or Embracing My Inner Hipster

Because it seems like the right thing to do, a way to feel part of the gang, I am officially joining Bloglovin'!

I am embracing my inner hipster. Istagram and my parents will be so proud. Maybe this will one day lead me to actually wear my glasses when I need them (writing & blogging among other things), get me to buy vintage clothing and party in Shoredich (one of the few places in London to make me feel utterly, utterly uncool!).


My housemate N always says that I am already one. Or at least that I am her friend who comes closest to resembling a hipster. I like, no more like love, taking pictures of my food on my phone and instgraming them. I spend rather large amounts of my free time sitting in cafe's writing.



I take pictures of my dog.


And selfportraits in mirrors.



Urban Dictionary defines hipster as

"Hipsters are a subculture of men and women typically in their 20's and 30's that value independent thinking, counter-culture, progressive politics, an appreciation of art and indie-rock, creativity, intelligence, and witty banter. (...) Although "hipsterism" is really a state of mind,it is also often intertwined with distinct fashion sensibilities. Hipsters reject the culturally-ignorant attitudes of mainstream consumers, and are often be seen wearing vintage and thrift store inspired fashions, tight-fitting jeans, old-school sneakers, and sometimes thick rimmed glasses. (...) Despite misconceptions based on their aesthetic tastes, hipsters tend to be well educated and often have liberal arts degrees, or degrees in maths and sciences, which also require certain creative analytical thinking abilities."

And while I have a certain dislike for indie-rock music on a night out, most of what you will find on my iPod will probably fall within the category of 'alternative'. I am well educated with a social science degree, have a strong political opinion and enjoy witty banter with my friends. Does that make me a true hipster? Those cool kids in Shoreditch and East London would probably disagree. To my North London friends I am. Sometimes taht makes me feel like I am trapped in an identity crisis. As if being a foreigner isn't challenging enough.

For now that means still taking pictures of my cupcakes on Instagram. Still carrying around coffee everywhere I go. Liking ironic (and unironic) slogans on things. Wearing a bobble hat; unironically that is. And also joining Bloglovin'!