17 February 2013

The LFW Diaries: Day 1 & 2



I am currently at London Fashion Week working for XO Magazine and love it. It is mental, it is manic and I am shattered after only 2 days but it has been worth it. You can read all my blogs and watch the shows on the site. Its been such a pleasure working with the team and doing LFW this season has just made me want to do more. 


Day 1
Day One started of bright and early at 9am with registration and then straight into the first shows. It was overwhelming at first but so much fun from the get-go. I was lucky enough to be invited to the Bora Aksu and Zoe Jordan shows; there were so many pieces in there that I just wanted to take home and wear tomorrow. The best kind of feeling really. Jena.Theo was my next stop, which was a rather intimate show. It is always great to go to shows from the slightly less well-known designers because it means that you get a chance to actually look at the clothes rather than sharing a tent with 600 other people who are all trying to see properly. And while being at the big shows is a great experience in itself, its nice to have a balance between both.

Unfortunately I had a work thing to go to in the afternoon so my assistant Poppy got to go to some pretty cool shows for me. I didn’t get to take a picture of my outfit (to follow hopefully) wore a simple black dress with a studded collar, leopard print shoes, my beloved red hat and red lipstick. I love wearing this particular Illamasquara lipstick (unfortunately it looks like they wont be continuing it) because it is just the right kind of shade of red, matte and so stays on for ages. I may have to go and buy any left over stock there is because it is just that great. Plus it will be hard to find a shade that fits my hat as perfectly as this. 

Day 2 
Day Two has been my busiest so far with shows dragging me out of bed at 8am again. Because I am lucky enough to be press I get to use the press lounge which not only has coffee, comfy seats, recharge boxes for phones (a life saver) but also the fabulous MAC lounge. I had made an appointment the previous day so I sat down for a little makeover first thing in the morning. Ruby did a fantastic job and I absolutely loved my make up. I may have found my new favorite lipstick – isn’t it great? We quickly talked about what I wanted her to do and agreed that an eye-popping lip that matched my bright dress would be a great idea. I wore my beloved Whistles dress and Zara heels with a chunky necklace and trusted Burberry coat.

I then saw the John Rocha show, which was my personal highlight so far. The show was packed and busy but his clothes were so beautiful and the sense of whimsy of the collections send me into a dream-like state. I didn’t want to leave. Unfortunately all good things come to and end and it was time to rush of and see the next few shoes on my list such as Ashley Isham, The Ones to Watch show at Fashion Scout and Adam Andrascik. There were a few shoes I simply couldn’t go to because they clashed but that is the nature of Fashion Week for you.

Because Cube PR were nice enough to give me tickets for both me and Poppy for the Adam Andrascik show and with Poppy being home ill, I had the pleasure of taking my friend S. to her first ever Fashion show. She is in the process of starting her own Fashion blog, so lots of inspiration for her from yesterday. It was so nice to see someone being so excited and introducing them to something they wouldn’t have gone to otherwise. She also kept me company for dinner, aka we ate our body weight in sushi.
 
The hardest thing so far has been keeping up with all the writing I have to do. Staying on top is hard when you have got 20 minutes in between shows to come up with something to say while around you the world is crazy hectic. That is something that will come with experience I am sure. It has certainly made me excited for the upcoming couple of days.